Monday, September 20, 2010

Philosophy and Hypocrisy

I am a philosopher, I have lots of ideas about lots of different things. Sometimes I feel so strongly that my idea is correct or at least largely valid that I will stand up and argue the idea's merits in front of a crowd.

But I realize that hypocrisy, not following my own advice, is not necessarily a horrible thing and my ideas are no less right because my actions don't fall perfectly in line. Vegetarianism is obviously (ridiculously obviously!) the right choice for the future for so many reasons but I eat meat and encourage my close friends and family to do so as well. Hypocrisy yes! But I feel strangely ok with this situation.

In this world with a million different ways to screw up, it is ok to have ideas that conflict. To be honest, I have a hard time trusting someone who harshly critisizes the hypocrite because it shows they either lack imagination or are out of touch with reality - they are hypocrites in some way too, I gaurentee it.



I can resist anything...except for temptation.

No comments:

Post a Comment