Friday, May 7, 2010

Advice

This morning I got up at 7 and went for a run to loosen my legs. Standard stuff for me... jog...rest...stretch... I did some plyos... nothing too hard.

Then I found myself at an elementary school playground. No one was there as it was before school so I sat on a bench to think and stretch a bit. Then, out of the corner of my eye, I saw a small piece of sidewalk chalk. What a great thing it would be for me to write something really interesting, to write some piece of advice for the kids to ponder during recess! But what to write?

I couldn't think of anything that I was sure would be good advice. I could talk about doing well in school, or respecting one's elders, or eating healthy, or enjoying one's youth but nothing sounded right in my head.

And then it hit me. The thing that I can recommend without reservation, the single piece of advice I wish I had had when I was younger, the one thing I would like to say to today's children:

PLAY ULTIMATE.

Ultimate has been one of the best things to ever happen to my life. Most of my friends and most of my fun comes from Ultimate. Most of my perspectives on the world are shaped in some way by the things I have learned from Ultimate and the people that play it. I love Ultimate.

Many times over the last 5 years, Ultimate has been THE most important thing in my life - that has been the case these last few weeks before Regionals. And I am happy with that fact. May you all want something in your life as badly as I want to win this weekend.


Clip of the Day: The Next Generation and The Best Endzone Celebration Ever

Joke of the Day: If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the precipitate.

1 comment:

  1. When you can give straight advice to children to do what you are doing as an adult I think you have achieved something great in life.

    ReplyDelete