Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Big Weekend In Colorado

"The great secret of success in life is for a man to be ready when his opportunity comes."
- Benjamin Disraeli

I like to think about the first point, of the first game, of a tournament. The whole week, if not the whole month prior to a big tourney like this upcoming one, I rehearse in my head. I actually don't really think past the pull - I just visualize standing on the line, putting my hand up and watching the disc sail toward me. I don't know anything else about the weekend besides who I am going to be standing on the line with and that I am going to catch that pull.

Over and over again in my head. Over and over again because those will be the most important moments of my Ultimate career up until that point. Let bids to nationals be distributed later, that first pull must be caught right now.

See you all in Fort Collins.


You Make the Call of the Day: Cornell v Pitt at 09 Nationals 12:05 Travel or No Travel? I agree with Observer Jason.

Copycat Musical Accompaniment to a Highlight Video of the Day

Joke of the Day: What do you call a cow with no feet? Ground beef.

4 comments:

  1. Travel. Horrible observer call. Caught disc, then lands five (non-collinear, aka "changes direction", see 11th ed. XVI.J.1.a) steps away from the defender before throwing.

    Whether or not any step with both feet on the ground is "establishing a pivot" I think is still debatable. But let's not be distracted from the fact that this player took an illegal and advantageous path to increase the ease of getting an unobstucted throw to his teammate. He violated the rules. Travel. Period.

    Only thing worse is that same player attempting to re-enact the play with (I assume) the intent of demonstrating his rule compliance. Not only is he obviously either dishonest or suffering a lack of awareness of his body, but he drags his pivot foot (really?!?) to somehow show how he didn't travel.

    Sequences like this make me hate ultimate and its players sometimes.

    ReplyDelete