Monday, April 12, 2010

Be a Man, Stand Up for Yourself

The most manly thing I have ever done to stand up for myself was at the annual UCSD Sungod Festival my sophomore year. The line-up included Third Eye Blind, my favorite band of all time. My then girlfriend and I were having some stupid fight, probably about how I wasn't paying enough attention to her, outside the gates to the concert while the day was getting late and the big names were starting to go on. I finally got so mad that I blurted out: "Third Eye Blind is my favorite band of all time; if you make me miss a second of their show because of this stupid fight I might never talk to you ever again".

She shutup and we went inside. The rest of my life, I have been (and am still) shy about asking for what I want but in that movement I was a man: I stood up for myself.




I am not advocating one-sided, pushy machismo... But Third Eye Blind only comes out of retirement to play a free show at your school once.

1 comment:

  1. "probably about how I wasn't paying enough attention to her..." Haha. Maybe.

    I feel the same way about a sporting event. I do not tolerate being late or missing any part of being at a game.

    ReplyDelete