Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Why I Drive So Fast

When i think about it, it really scares me that I entrust my life and safety to all the strangers around me on the freeway. I have NO idea if they are sane, crazy, homicidal, drunk, tired, crying, putting on make up, sleepy, or plain clumsy. It is partially for this reason that I drive so fast - to get away from other drivers! I have this urge to pass, to avoid going the same pace as other cars. I figure the less time I'm on the road, the less time I am in danger! I know that when I am driving aggressively, I am focused, tuned in, and hyper-aware. When I am just cruising I am more likely to be spaced out, on the phone, or fiddling with the radio. I've got to assume the same about you: if you are doing a leisurely 65mph, Ill do my best to put you in my dust - for my own safety.



It's that, and driving fast is fun.

2 comments:

  1. I made the mistake of going too fast and passing a swerving drunk driver. He eventually caught up to me, and hit 4 other cars including myself. Moral of the story: I intentionally sped to avoid danger, and ended up paying for it. I now drive at the speed limit/ cautious to avoid such incidents. You could make the argument that maybe i didn't drive fast enough to avoid danger. who knows? to each his own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't totally understand. Are you saying that this drunk purposely caught up to you?

    ReplyDelete